To Provide Architectural education to create environment friendly architecture through inputs from traditional skills, materials and geographical conditions; Expressing regional diversity through architecture and promoting research on materials, energy, depletion of resources, conservation of heritage.
To infuse confidence in the would-be-architect. In nutshell the Architect from the institute has to be made aware of the changing scene put forth by racing progress with its tools. Decadence in built-up-environment is a major concern. To feel concerned for the up gradation of the built-up-environment is the need of the hour.
An idea to start a school of Architecture came up in the year 2005-06 keeping in view that:
The state has no school of Architecture. The state is blessed with three distinct regions. Overall Development activity is on the increase. The development in hills is not organized and landscape is getting mutilated. The number of architects in totality is not much in relation to population. The areas of the state are prone to earthquake as the state falls in seismic zone IV. Elements of heritage are getting diluted. Any school of Architecture can be a catalyst in promoting architectural order. The aim of the school would be to create consciousness regarding Architecture, Environment, Built-up form, proper utilization of materials, and resources retaining heritage elements and lastly promoting sustainable development in hills.
- The curriculum & course structure was finalized with the help of Board of Advisors namely Prof. V.P Raori, Ar. P.R Mehta, and Ar. B.V Sharma
- Credit system & course structure finalized with inputs of syllabi from different schools across the country. Apart from the usual subjects taught as core & support subjects the introduction of Special Lectures, Field Studies/Case Studies was introduced, which have proved very interesting & informative for the students and with practical dimensions help students in Planning and Design
- In May 2006 Ar. Radesh Mukku was appointed as one member committee by the COA for inspection and granting permission to start the School of Architecture in SMVDU.
- School of Architecture started functioning in Aug’ 2006
- The school admits student through AIEEE/IIT- JEE merit.
- IIT pattern of teaching and examination system is followed in S.M.V.D.U in all technical streams in an endeavor to attain excellence.
- The School envisages to start Master’s in landscape Architecture in near future.
The Bachelor of Architecture course has been designed to infuse confidence in the would-be-architect. In nutshell the Architect from the institute has to be made aware of the changing scene put forth by racing progress with its tools. Decadence in built-up-environment is a major concern. To feel concerned for the up gradation of the built-up-environment is the need of the hour. The basic mission of providing architectural education is to create environment friendly architecture through inputs from traditional skills, materials and geographical conditions. Expressing regional diversity through architecture and promoting research on materials, energy, depletion of resources, conservation of heritage have been in view while framing the syllabus.
- The course content shall be defined in advance with reference materials so that student comes prepared to some extent and the teacher assumes the role of a catalyst.
- Architectural Design shall be of prime importance with inputs from other related subjects.
- Timing and importance of the subjects has been kept in view.
- Working drawings shall be a part of both Architectural Design & building construction.
- Seminars on topics of professional concern to be part of studies with issues regarding environment, energy, heritage, landscape etc.
- To be concerned about the subject with an open mind keeping in view the space and services and dilution of natural values (fitting buildings in natural settings) and heritage elements
By combining the subjects of the course in a natural flow, the architect- to be shall have confidence in planning, architectural design, drafting details and shall be ready for discussion. In other words it will make architecture truly a language of' heart than a language of becoming an architect. Form-Function, both in the interiors and exteriors and the relationship of structure with the site and location (HARMONY) in truthfulness shall be the theme of the course. With this approach in mind the architects from the institute shall be ready to face challenges in the field of Architecture. Programs in the Preamble are realized through practical approaches like field studies and special lectures.
Field studies help students to understand human activities, behavior and the value of space inside and outside and the details to be incorporated in Design.
- Students are made to prepare measured drawings in first year for particular functions to give the realistic understanding of anthropometry, scale and dimension.
- To create interest and awareness special lectures are conducted on the works of famous architects and their philosophies and other related topics in tune with times like Green Architecture.
- Topics are made tangible through slide shows and power point presentations.
- Outdoor study and sketching not only helps to understand Art and Aesthetics but side by decadence brought by human hands is made clear.
- Hand on training on latest architecture computer softwares like AutoCAD, ArchiCAD and Revit put the programme of teaching on latest lines.
- Talks and lectures are conducted by various companies dealing with interior hardware and students are made conscious of constant changes in building industry regarding wastage, pollution and conservation by explaining the ever changing trends in products.
- Students are made aware of the various facets of the state having three regions of varied climate, customs and architecture to establish differences in approach to design and along with it the understanding of Hill Architecture and Energy Conscious buildings.
- To keep students well informed about Architecture and widen their horizon and allow healthy competition, students attend NASA (National Association of Students Architects) meets in January every year.
- Students also attend programmed study tours and joint workshops with other schools.
- Lectures and Workshops by Visiting Professors render extra help to students in their understanding about the subject.
- Students take part in Art Culture and Sports activities regularly.
The school of Architecture & Landscape Design (SALD) started in 2006 with the first batch of 40 students. The first three years of the school were spent on shared basis in the buildings of other UG & PG schools of the University. Meanwhile, SALD faculty consider themselves fortunate to have got the job of designing the SALD building under the leadership of First Director of the School Prof. C.L.Razdan. the beautiful design of the building with passionate learning environment was soon ready on paper & the building was ultimately inaugurated on 4th dec, 20009 by the Chancellor SMVDU & hon’ble Governor of J&K sh. N.N.Vohra in presence of First lady of J&K Smt. Usha Vohra, then Vice-Chancellor SMVDU prof. N.K.Bansal , then Director SALD Prof. C.L.Razdan & faculty members of SALD.
So far 04 batches totaling nearly 145 students have passed out after underwent studies for B. Arch course here in SALD, SMVDU & are well settled in parts of the Globe including Reputed abroad Universities. School is affiliated through mandatory Council of Architecture, COA New Delhi & for the purpose, regular inspections & approval are deliberated through COA. Lately, in may-2014, SALD has undergone through rigorous inspection for the extension of the approval of admissions for future batches as s the routine in all such colleges/universities imparting Architectural education.
- Present Board of studies (BOS) include Ar. Rommel Mehta (Head, Deptt of Landscape Architecture, SPA Delhi), Ar. Poonam Prakash (Asso. Prof; Department of physical planning, SPA Delhi) as external member experts, Visiting faculty SALD as member invitees & Regualr faculty members as permanent members. Regular BOS meetings are called up by the Director SALD normally once in a semster to address key academic issues pertaining to the School including future programmes & course updation/revision (if any).
- Present Vice-Chancellor, SMVDU Prof. Sudhir Jain is proactive towards SALD development & day to day activities. For the purpose, he visits the school of regular basis. He also have regular discussions with faculty, staff & students.